Its been three Thursdays and we are still doing the “Reading Review Thursdays“! Yesterday was actually a bit of a fluke. My son had been having high reading overnight for the past three days. I knew that it was time to make a change. I decided that it was easiest to look at the rest of his readings then as well. As I was writing down dates, I realized that it was Thursday! I was right on schedule. Yeah me!
Yes, I need a life and am a little sleep deprived. You see, despite being high for three nights (and I mean close to 20 or 360 for my American pals) my son was perfect to on the low side all night long last night.
After our pump tweaking, we sat at the kitchen table and chatted while he drank a Tim Horton’s smoothie. He was 4.5(81) before he started. He then ate two Eggo’s as well. I felt that he would soon be running a lot higher and my basal changes came just in time!
Erring on the side of caution however, about 20 minutes after he went to bed I had him test again. He was 4.2 (75)! Crap! I sent him to the kitchen to chug a glass of juice.
“Should I stay up and retest because I am low?”
“Well, you aren’t technically low. You are just in a range that I really don’t like you to go to sleep at. The juice should cover it. You have school tomorrow, get some rest and I will check later.”
I checked him a few hours later and he was right around 5 (90). Was he going to go up or drop? I was not going to get any sleep. I hate these nights–no clear low but clearly not safe yet either. I didn’t want to add glucose and send him too high but was it safe to leave him? Would he stay around 5? Could I be that lucky? My mind would continue to race like this all night long.
I slept for another hour but I had to get up and check again. He was dropping. At 4.2(75) I gave him juice, grabbed my book and waited. By 4am, he was back up to 5.6 (101) and I could sleep for another couple of hours. By 6am I was up again but he was finally up over my favorite number 6 and had climbed to 8.6(155). A bit of peace at last!!
Today I have to decide if I keep the basal rates at their new higher level and risk a repeat performance (although with a little knowledge, a temporary basal would be added to the mix if things began to tank) or if I go back to the old settings and assume that the highs were site related. Decisions, decisions. Just another night on the Diabetes Roller coaster.